Monday, May 16, 2022

Spalletti hits back at media coverage surrounding Scudetto failure after Napoli thrash Sassuolo

SoccerNews in Serie A 30 Apr 2022

29 Views

Luciano Spalletti hit out at the media coverage surrounding Napoli after his side cruised to a 6-1 thrashing of Sassuolo on Saturday.

Napoli saw their Scudetto hopes crushed as a second-half collapse allowed Empoli victory last week, but Spalletti’s side raced out the blocks against Sassuolo as Kalidou Koulibaly, Victor Osimhen and Hirving Lozano struck.

The rapid start saw Napoli net three times within the first 20 minutes of a Serie A match for the first time since May 2009 before Dries Mertens added a double either side of the interval.

Amir Rrahmani then turned home with the hosts claiming a 6-1 win after Maxime Lopez’s late consolation goal.

But Spalletti was in no mood for celebrating after Napoli all but secured Champions League qualification, sitting 12 points clear of fifth-placed Roma, who have four games to play.

The Napoli coach questioned the reporting by the media after speculation persisted over his future following the disappointing defeat to Empoli.

“Being almost mathematically certain of Champions League football with three rounds to spare was not an easy target. Having said that, there are some regrets,” he told reporters.

“I was the one who talked about the Scudetto to raise the bar, but winning a game in today’s atmosphere, with part of the crowd protesting, is something that disappoints me considering all the players have done this season.

“It almost feels like it’s a success to be where Roma, Atalanta or Lazio are, but Napoli are treated as a failure.

“Who has doubts about me? A journalist who has no ideas and decides to fill up space by going back to find problems from years ago, back to Francesco Totti, Mauro Icardi and who knows what else.

“I see bad faith in some reporting around me and Napoli. You are trying to obscure the great result of Champions League qualification by making it all about the Scudetto.

“It’s true we dropped points against Empoli, but just as true that we have achieved things with Napoli this season. The team did not deserve to play in this atmosphere.”

Spalletti is aiming to continue building at Napoli even if he is to lose some of his star players after impressing this season.

“This season told us a lot, now we have more material available and we have created a showcase for many players,” he added.

“At the beginning of the season the president talked about having to lower the salary, there were not many proposals, now many are interested in the transfer market and I’m happy with this.

“These players here deserve showcases and deserve to be in the sights of other important clubs such as Napoli.”

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

SoccerNews

Soccernews.com is news blog for soccer with comprehensive coverage of all the major leagues in Europe, as well as MLS in the United States. In addition we offer breaking news for transfers and transfer rumors, ticket sales, betting tips and offers, match previews, and in-depth editorials.

You can follow us on Facebook: Facebook.com/soccernews.com or Twitter: @soccernewsfeed.

SHARE OR COMMENT ON THIS ARTICLE

WE RECOMMEND

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Live Scores

advertisement

Betting Guide Advertisement

advertisement

Become a Writer
More More
Top
1
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x