Manchester City are bossing the title race and are in action on New Year’s Day, facing an Arsenal team they have beaten in nine successive Premier League games.
That represents Arsenal’s longest ever losing run against an opponent in their league history, and it would be a surprise if City did not extend it to double figures.
Sunday’s headline game sees second play third as Chelsea host Liverpool.
As 2022 begins, test your Premier League knowledge with our Opta-powered quiz. As ever, the answers are at the end.
1. Arsenal, who welcome Manchester City to the Emirates Stadium on Saturday, are unbeaten at home in 11 New Year’s Day games (W9 D2) since a 2-1 loss to which team in 1985?
2. Manchester City’s Raheem Sterling has scored in each of his last three Premier League away games against Arsenal. Who is the only player to have scored in four consecutive Premier League away appearances against Arsenal? Clue: Arsenal’s nemesis here is an ex-Gunner.
3. Crystal Palace have won just one of their 10 top-flight matches played on New Year’s Day (D5 L4), heading into their clash with West Ham. Who were the one team that Palace beat, all the way back on January 1, 1992?
4. Leeds United, who face Sean Dyche’s Burnley on Sunday, have won seven of their nine Premier League home games against teams with English managers during Marcelo Bielsa’s reign. Who are the two English bosses and their teams that have got the better of Bielsa at Elland Road?
5. Liverpool striker Mohamed Salah is set to face his former club Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Sunday, and has scored 13 league goals in London for the Reds, the joint-most by a Liverpool player. Who has also scored 13 goals for the Merseyside giants in the capital?
2. Nicolas Anelka (twice with Manchester City, also with Bolton and Chelsea)
3. Notts County
4. Graham Potter and Brighton, Dean Smith and Aston Villa
5. Steven Gerrard
- Soccer News Like
- Be the first of your friends!