Saturday, February 4, 2023

Trossard warned over Brighton commitment by De Zerbi amid Chelsea and Newcastle links

SoccerNews in English Premier League 7 Jan 2023

23 Views

In-demand forward Leandro Trossard must show full commitment to Brighton and Hove Albion if he is to return to their starting line-up, says head coach Roberto De Zerbi.

Trossard has been linked with a move to Newcastle United or a reunion with former boss Graham Potter at Chelsea after impressing before the World Cup, though his form has tailed off badly since then.

The 28-year-old has seven goals in 16 Premier League appearances this season, but he was left out for the Seagulls’ 4-1 thrashing of Everton on Tuesday after starting just once in Belgium’s dire World Cup campaign.

Speaking to The Athletic, De Zerbi said of Trossard: “I think he’s one of the best players for us and one of the most important players for us.

“I’d like to always play with Leo in the first eleven, but it doesn’t depend only on me, it depends on Leo. I want players that work for the team on the pitch and Leandro knows very well my opinion. I’ve spoken a lot of times with him.

“I like him as a player, but I want more from him, because he can play better, he can work harder, he can run more on the pitch.

“I want players who give 100 per cent in every training session and every game. Without these characteristics, they can’t play with me.”

Asked whether Trossard’s experience in Qatar was to blame for his recent drop-off, the Italian said: “I don’t know if it’s the World Cup. I have to watch what my player does on the pitch.

“If there is a problem, I’m always open to understanding, but on the pitch I want 100 per cent always. I can’t understand 80 per cent or 90 per cent.”

Moises Caicedo is another Brighton player to be linked with a move, but the club’s chief executive Paul Barber claims he is yet to field an offer from suitors including Liverpool and Chelsea, laughing off a reported £42million valuation of the midfielder.

“I’m pleased to say we haven’t had any [offers]. Maybe they haven’t got my email because I haven’t seen any,” he told CBS Sports.

“I’m not sure £42m will even include his boots now, maybe just the laces. But joking aside, every player’s value is ultimately determined by the market.”

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

SoccerNews

Soccernews.com is news blog for soccer with comprehensive coverage of all the major leagues in Europe, as well as MLS in the United States. In addition we offer breaking news for transfers and transfer rumors, ticket sales, betting tips and offers, match previews, and in-depth editorials.

You can follow us on Facebook: Facebook.com/soccernews.com or Twitter: @soccernewsfeed.

SHARE OR COMMENT ON THIS ARTICLE

WE RECOMMEND

Subscribe
Notify of
guest

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Live Scores

advertisement

Betting Guide Advertisement

advertisement

Become a Writer
More More
Top
1
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x