Manchester City midfielder Yaya Toure has issued a statement apologising for criticisms aimed at manager Pep Guardiola by his agent Dimitri Seluk in an apparent attempt to salvage his career with the Premier League leaders.
Toure’s solitary competitive appearance during Guardiola’s Etihad Stadium tenure came in the second leg of the Champions League play-off tie against Steaua Bucharest and he was subsequently left out of City’s squad for the competition proper.
That prompted an extended vilification of Guardiola from Seluk, who had previously questioned the manager’s capabilities after he sanctioned Toure’s move to City in 2010 while in charge of Barcelona.
Guardiola responded by stating Toure would not be selected for City again until he said sorry for his representative’s actions.
In a statement on his Facebook page posted on Friday, this appears to be what the 33-year-old has offered, although neither Guardiola or Seluk are mentioned by name.
“I wish to apologise – on behalf of myself and those who represent me – to the management team and all those working at the club for the misunderstandings from the past,” Toure said.
“Those statements do not represent my views on the club or the people who work there. I have nothing but respect for Manchester City and only wish the best for the football club.
“I am immensely proud to have played a part in the club’s history and want to help City succeed further. I live to play football and entertain the fans.
“On that note, I would like to thank all of the fans for their messages through this difficult period. This means a great deal to me and my family.”