Spain international striker David Villa has confirmed he will leave La Liga champions Atletico Madrid when his contract at the Estadio Vicente Calderon expires at the end of June.
The former FC Barcelona ace, 32, was seen at Bridgewater Hospital in Manchester on Saturday — reportedly undergoing a medical ahead of a sensational move to Manchester City’s new U.S. franchise New York City F.C.
“It is an irresistible project for me and my family, it is very, very good. It is about football and I have to accept it,” Villa told the club’s official website.
“I will be a fan of Atletico all my life for what they have given me this year.”
Villa was an integral part of Diego Simeone’s rotation during a very impressive 2013/14 campaign — tallying 13 goals and four assists in 32 La Liga appearances.
According to reports, the Spaniard could potentially team-up with England international midfielder Frank Lampard, who reportedly held informal talks with New York City earlier this week.
Lampard, 35, does not know whether or not he will stay at Stamford Bridge or move elsewhere in the summer but increasing speculation is suggesting Manchester City’s new Major League Soccer franchise could be his final destination.
“I don’t know if I’ll be at Chelsea next season,” Lampard said.
“I’d like to carry on for two or three more years but it would be good to end on a high.
“So, if that means it all ends tomorrow, I wouldn’t have any regrets.
“You know your shelf-life, so I started to mentally prepare when I hit 30. I’ve been doing this for a long time, so there’s a part of me that’s looking forward to the future.”
Lampard, who will become a free agent in July, netted six goals in 20 English Premier League appearances for the Blues last term.
Immobile to Dortmund
Torino F.C. forward Ciro Immobile is set to join German giants Borussia Dortmund when the transfer window re-opens in the summer.
The Italy international, 24, joined Torino from reigning Serie A champions Juventus in a co-ownership deal for €2.75 million but has little interest in returning to the Bianconeri.
“It’s a done deal, I had already said a little while ago,” Immobile told Rai Sport.
“I’m just waiting to sign the contract with Borussia Dortmund.”
Immobile enjoyed a tremendous 2013/14 campaign with Torino, bagging 22 goals and three assists in just 29 appearances in Italy’s top-flight.
He was named to the Azzurri’s provisional 30-man squad by national team boss Cesare Prandelli for the 2014 FIFA World Cup finals last month.