Victor Valdes has informed Barcelona he will not renew his contract when it expires in 2014, according to the player’s representatives.
Camp Nou chiefs held talks with agents of the Spain international on Thursday and the Catalan club had hoped to persuade the goalkeeper to extend his lifelong association with the club.
However, it now appears certain the 31-year-old will leave at the end of next season following the release of a statement on Thursday evening.
“Victor Valdes’ agents have told Barcelona, in the meeting held this afternoon, of the irrevocable decision from the player not to renew his contract, thus avoiding discussing future wage issues,” his representatives told Spanish news agency EFE.
Valdes’ contract expires in June 2014, and he could well make a move away from La Liga after recently expressing his desire to experience ‘other cultures’.
However, he had also revealed at the start of January his intention to retire at Barca, an opinion that has clearly changed since.
The La Liga leaders’ sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta previously thought Valdes had every intention of remaining at Camp Nou.
Reports in the winter transfer window have linked Manchester United shot-stopper David de Gea with a move back to the Spanish top flight, having left Atletico Madrid in 2011.
The Blaugrana are yet to comment on the latest Valdes news, with a pre-match press conference due to be held on Friday ahead of their clash with Real Sociedad on Saturday.