Louis van Gaal’s final pre-World Cup Netherlands squad includes three first-time call-ups, including talented Ajax midfielder Kenneth Taylor.
Seven players have been dropped from the provisional squad announced earlier this month, including Bayern Munich midfielder Ryan Gravenberch and Feyenoord goalkeeper Justin Bijlow.
Gravenberch, 20, has not been called-up by Van Gaal since November 2021 and faces a battle to make the squad for Qatar as he instead takes a spot in the Under-21s along with Brian Brobbey and Jeremie Frimpong.
Jordy Clasie, Pascal Struijk and Joey Veerman are the others to be dropped from the provisional selection.
Ajax goalkeeper Remko Pasveer and 20-year-old midfielder Taylor are included for the first time, as is Heerenveen stopper Andries Noppert.
“We have included a number of new players in the squad. For us, this is the last opportunity to see the boys at work, before we have to announce our World Cup selection,” Van Gaal said.
“As I have said before, the preparation time for this World Cup is extremely short, so I have to make good use of all available time. After this training camp, we won’t get back together until November 14, a week before we play our first game at the World Cup.”
The Netherlands will face Poland on September 22 in Warsaw, then hosting Belgium in Amsterdam three days later as the Nations League group stage comes to a close.
- Soccer News Like
- Be the first of your friends!