Monday, June 17, 2024

Bayern boss Nagelsmann suggests Ronaldo salary is putting off prospective buyers

SoccerNews in Bundesliga 19 Aug 2022

139 Views

Bayern Munich head coach Julian Nagelsmann has conceded that lots of clubs would want to sign Cristiano Ronaldo, but suggested his wage demands are preventing most from being interested.

The Bavarian giants were linked with a move for the Manchester United forward earlier in the transfer window after reports emerged he wanted to leave Old Trafford in search of Champions League football.

However, Bayern ruled themselves out of a move, with CEO Oliver Kahn saying it “would not fit into our philosophy”.

Ronaldo has been linked with another Bundesliga side in Borussia Dortmund, though their CEO, Hans-Joachim Watzke, also distanced his club from the Portugal international on Friday.

Asked about possible Bundesliga interest in Ronaldo at a press conference, Nagelsmann said: “Honestly, I don’t really care if he goes to Dortmund or not. He has a contract at Man Utd.

“He is a great player, he scores many goals, he will score many goals, I don’t know at what club, but I don’t think that’s relevant.”

Nagelsmann was asked why he thought that Ronaldo’s agent, Jorge Mendes, was apparently offering the 37-year-old to various clubs around Europe.

“I think he takes 10 per cent,” he joked. “I think Mendes is a lot on the phone. I saw him in a documentary. I think it’s okay, it’s a good thing the players have agents who are not only about the money but are working… I think it’s quite normal he’s trying that.

“I think you have to be able to afford him. He’s not the youngest guy, it’s a huge amount of money. I think there are many clubs who would like to have him, but I think for 15 teams of the Bundesliga, it would be very difficult to pay his annual salary.

“Every club knows he’s a really good player, he will score many goals and sell many jerseys, but he also brings more press. You would have to ask Mendes though – I think he knows more.”

Bayern have won their first two games of the new Bundesliga season and travel to Bochum on Sunday.

Nagelsmann left most of his new signings out of the wins against Eintracht Frankfurt and Wolfsburg, with Sadio Mane the only recent arrival to start either game, as Matthijs de Ligt, Ryan Gravenberch, Noussair Mazraoui and Mathys Tel took their places on the bench.

The 35-year-old coach explained they will need time to get used to things at Bayern and are being eased in slowly, mentioning that despite his two starts, Mane is also having to adapt.

“Even Sadio Mane, who is on a world-class top level, who played for a long time in one of the best leagues of Europe, who won everything, even he says that you have to get used to everything,” he said.

“The language, the country, the city, until the family has arrived, all those private things. Until they are done it takes a little time until you are really free in your mind, even Sadio says that.

“Ryan, Nous, they played in the Netherlands [with Ajax], which is a good league but not among the top three in Europe. I guess they need a little bit more time to get used to everything.

“In general, what is important is that those players show in a proactive what they are capable and really pushing the limit, then they will have time on the pitch. I am always very happy when this process goes faster. I always put players on the pitch when I think that they are at 100 per cent that they can replace any player.”

Nagelsmann did suggest he could give an outing to De Ligt against Bochum if he recovers from a hand injury, though Jamal Musiala – who has scored three goals in two games already this season – is a doubt with a hip adductor strain.

“I would like to play [De Ligt],” he said. “We still have to wait and see because if he still feels some pain maybe he’s not at 100 per cent, we will decide that tomorrow.

“With Jamal, if it was the Champions League final he would play for sure because he wouldn’t need to play afterwards, but with this slight injury with the hip, anything can happen and then you get a muscle injury, it would be way worse and he would be out for five to eight matches. We will see tomorrow if it’s possible.”

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

SoccerNews

Soccernews.com is news blog for soccer with comprehensive coverage of all the major leagues in Europe, as well as MLS in the United States. In addition we offer breaking news for transfers and transfer rumors, ticket sales, betting tips and offers, match previews, and in-depth editorials.

You can follow us on Facebook: Facebook.com/soccernews.com or Twitter: @soccernewsfeed.

SHARE OR COMMENT ON THIS ARTICLE

WE RECOMMEND

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This field is required *

Join the conversation!

or Register

More More
Top