Sunday, July 14, 2024

Guthrie escapes additional FA ban for horror tackle

SoccerNews in English Premier League 17 Sep 2008

81 Views

Newcastle midfielder Danny Guthrie will serve a standard three-match suspension for his reckless tackle on Hull's Craig Fagan and won't get an additional ban, it was announced Wednesday.

The 21-year-old was sent-off late on during Newcastle's 2-1 Premier League defeat at St James' Park last weekend after ploughing through the back of Fagan, who was left with a broken left leg, as the Tigers striker tried to shield the ball in the corner and run down the clock.

Such was the appalling nature of Guthrie's challenge it had been thought he might face extra punishment but the Football Association said it could not extend the automatic three-game ban which accompanies a red card.

“Every sending off carries an automatic sanction under the current regulations,” said a spokesman for the governing body.

“The FA doesn't have the power to extend automatic suspensions.

“The only circumstances in which we could take any further action would be to issue an additional charge against a player.

“This occurs only in exceptional cases, such as Ben Thatcher's challenge on Pedro Mendes in 2006.”

Hull announced Monday that Fagan could be out for up to six weeks and City manager Phil Brown said: “When you see that the end product is him putting a fellow pro in a cast, it's just not right.”

Guthrie, for his part, said: “I was very upset to hear the news concerning Craig.

“The club have been in touch with Hull City on my behalf because I want to speak to Craig in person to apologise and wish him a speedy recovery. I hope to be able to do that as soon as possible.

“It was a challenge that came purely out of frustration towards the end of Saturday's game, but anybody who knows me will accept it was totally out of character on my part.”

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

SoccerNews

Soccernews.com is news blog for soccer with comprehensive coverage of all the major leagues in Europe, as well as MLS in the United States. In addition we offer breaking news for transfers and transfer rumors, ticket sales, betting tips and offers, match previews, and in-depth editorials.

You can follow us on Facebook: Facebook.com/soccernews.com or Twitter: @soccernewsfeed.

SHARE OR COMMENT ON THIS ARTICLE

WE RECOMMEND

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This field is required *

Join the conversation!

or Register

Live Scores

advertisement

Betting Guide Advertisement

advertisement

Become a Writer
More More
Top