Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Man City boss Hughes praises Richards´ treatment

SoccerNews in English Premier League 25 Aug 2008

72 Views

The treatment of Manchester City defender Micah Richards by medical staff drew praise from manager Mark Hughes following their 3-0 victory over West Ham at Eastlands on Sunday.

With owner Thaksin Shinawatra and members of his family looking on, City bounced back from the defeat by Aston Villa to secure the three points.

Richards was knocked unconscious in an aerial collision with team-mate Tal Ben Haim and was treated on the pitch a minute into the second half for eight minutes. He came to in the tunnel before being taken to Manchester Royal Infirmary for further checks.

The injury to the England defender tempered the feeling of elation around the ground following the Premiership victory.

Hughes said: “Micah was a little bit groggy obviously but the paramedics did their job. There are always concerns when you see incidents like this. They stabilised him and got him off the pitch.

“They did all the correct things and by all accounts he was lucid in the tunnel.

“I do not think there is any concern regarding a neck injury, it is more he has a bang on his head.

“He will be observed for the next couple of hours and he may be allowed to go home, providing he has some support there.”

Daniel Sturridge made the breakthrough with his first senior goal at Eastlands before Elano grabbed a brace against 10-man West Ham, who had Mark Noble sent off in the first half.

Vincent Kompany had an impressive debut for the Blues and Hughes said: “It is always nice to play well in front of the owner of the club. It does help.

“I spoke to him earlier in the week and I was really excited by what he had to say. I am sure he enjoyed the game today.

“This was a big win for us. Irrespective of West Ham going down to 10 men so early, I felt we were in control.

“There was a real determination in our play and a willingness to ask questions of the opposition.

“It was a good all-round performance and once we got our noses in front there was only going to be one winner.”

West Ham manager Alan Curbishley, again without a number of key men through injury, was disappointed at the way his side caved in during the second half.

He said: “I do not think any one of my players can hold their hands up and say they performed.

“Given the personnel we have available, I do not think we were equipped to play with 10 men.

“We needed to defend in the second half with our lives and the first goal is always important.

“It was a poor clearance and the boy (Sturridge) has finished it well and it was back to the wall after that.”

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

SoccerNews

Soccernews.com is news blog for soccer with comprehensive coverage of all the major leagues in Europe, as well as MLS in the United States. In addition we offer breaking news for transfers and transfer rumors, ticket sales, betting tips and offers, match previews, and in-depth editorials.

You can follow us on Facebook: Facebook.com/soccernews.com or Twitter: @soccernewsfeed.

SHARE OR COMMENT ON THIS ARTICLE

WE RECOMMEND

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This field is required *

Join the conversation!

or Register

Live Scores

advertisement

Betting Guide Advertisement

advertisement

Become a Writer
More More
Top