Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Ronaldinho´s the one for me says Thaksin

SoccerNews in English Premier League 5 Jun 2008

67 Views

Manchester City owner Thaksin Shinawatra is determined to bring Barcelona star Ronaldinho to Eastlands.

Thaksin is ready to hand Mark Hughes a 50-million-pound transfer fund and wants City's new manager to deliver Ronaldinho.

The Brazilian would cost Thaksin around 15 million pounds as well as wages of 150,000 pounds a week, but the former Thai prime minister won't let that stop him chasing one of the sport's biggest names.

“Ronaldinho – you know, he is a great player. Whatever the club in your heart, you would want to see this player in England, wouldn't you?” Shinawatra told the Daily Mail.

“It is not a risk. Sponsors will contribute. It will not damage our wage structure. Garry and Pairoj, my chief advisor, they are taking care of this transfer. I am very excited.

“I am 59 next birthday, so I am not a man who can wait for many years to see my dreams come true.”

Although Ronaldiho's form has slumped in the last year, prompting suggestions that the former World Player of the Year has lost his desire, Thaksin is convinced a move to the Premier League would give him a new lease of life.

“Ronaldinho is 28. He has much still to offer, he is a star. You need a combination of new players, existing players, quality, young and old,” he said.

“I admit also you need a player who is more than just winning the match. You need a star who can play on the pitch, but who can achieve much more for the club. Ronaldinho is that player.

“I am hearing good things about his hunger. I have spoken to his brother (and agent). Ronaldinho wants the new challenge, the chance to play his best football again, to return to the days when he was really, really famous. The magic is still in his boots. Let us hope we can bring him.”

Ronaldinho may not be the only Brazilian arriving at City during the close-season after Hughes gave his blessing for the club to move for CSKA Moscow's Brazil striker Jo.

A deal is on the cards according to executive chairman Garry Cook, who also backed Thaksin's bid to land Ronaldinho.

“We have had a conversation with Mark Hughes about this because we wanted to see what he felt but it would be fair to say we expect to see Jo at Manchester City,” Cook said.

“Ronaldinho is one of the greatest players that has ever played. We want to bring the best players to our football club.

“It is well documented that we are well down that path, but we also know it is a very competitive landscape.”

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

SoccerNews

Soccernews.com is news blog for soccer with comprehensive coverage of all the major leagues in Europe, as well as MLS in the United States. In addition we offer breaking news for transfers and transfer rumors, ticket sales, betting tips and offers, match previews, and in-depth editorials.

You can follow us on Facebook: Facebook.com/soccernews.com or Twitter: @soccernewsfeed.

SHARE OR COMMENT ON THIS ARTICLE

WE RECOMMEND

1
Leave a Reply

avatar
 
smilegrinwinkmrgreenneutraltwistedarrowshockunamusedcooleviloopsrazzrollcryeeklolmadsadexclamationquestionideahmmbegwhewchucklesillyenvyshutmouth
1 Comment threads
0 Thread replies
0 Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
1 Comment authors
abraham Recent comment authors
  Subscribe  
newest oldest most voted
Notify of
abraham
Guest
abraham

please i dont want dinho to acmilan becos he has a very brit future in barca. and i dont want diaby to replace flamini.

Live Scores

advertisement

Betting Guide Advertisement

advertisement

Become a Writer
More More
Top