Newcastle midfielder Yohan Cabaye says the groin injury he has recently suffered is not as bad as first feared.
The 27-year old picked up the problem in the first half of Newcastle’s 1-0 Europa League victory against Anzhi Makhachkala at St James’ Park on Thursday.
The midfielder had to be replaced after just 37 minutes of the second leg which sparked fears he may have exacerbated an injury that required surgery last year.
However, Cabaye has insisted it is a new injury and one that he is hoping will not keep him out of action for too long.
“It is adductor, but not the same place,” he told L’Equipe. “I felt some pain. We played a lot of matches recently so that could be a reason.
“Before the encounter against Anzhi, I felt fine.
“I don’t think it will be really serious.”