AC Milan’s Giampaolo Pazzini says he could have been lining
up for opponents Napoli in the teams’ Serie A clash on Sunday.
The Italy international joined Milan from city rivals Inter Milan during last year’s off-season transfer window but he has revealed there was the possibility of him moving to the Stadio San Paolo before the start of the 2012/13 campaign.
“I have a great relationship with (Napoli coach Walter) Mazzarri and there was something during the summer, but it was a road that didn’t lead anywhere,” he told La Gazzetta dello Sport.
As it is, Pazzini now looks certain to lead the Milan attack this weekend, with Mario Balotelli ruled out through suspension.
With Milan four points adrift of their second-placed rivals, the striker is under no illusions about the enormity of the game.
“A team like Milan must always be in the Champions League. Always,” Pazzini said.
“And I have said this: if we lose against Napoli, second place would become almost impossible.
“Simply put, we have to win. But we’ll be ready.”
Pazzini is also desperate to prove his worth, not only to Milan coach Massimiliano Allegri but also Italy boss Cesare Prandelli.
“If I can do well next season, like I have done this year, the World Cup will come for me,” he reasoned.
“So, I would still make the decision to come here 100 times over.”