Real Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane is adamant there is no deal in place to sign Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea but hinted the situation would be reviewed at the end of the season.
De Gea almost joined Madrid last year only for the deal to hit a last-minute snag. The Spain international subsequently penned a new four-year deal in September but speculation has persisted that his long-term future lies at the Santiago Bernabeu and not Old Trafford.
Fresh reports have emerged this week that De Gea is on Madrid’s wish-list for the upcoming close-season – although that would depend on the outcome of their appeal against a two-window transfer ban – but Zidane says he is happy with his current options.
Asked specifically about De Gea, he told a news conference ahead of Sunday’s game with Las Palmas: “I have not planned anything because I do not know what will happen tomorrow.
“I am very happy with the goalkeepers I have, Keylor Navas is playing, Kiko [Casilla] is a good professional who trains well while Ruben [Yanez] is a phenomenal talent. This is the most important thing.
“Then we will see at the end of the season.”
When asked about transfers in general, Zidane reiterated his stance that he was not looking at his own position beyond the end of the season.
“I cannot say anything. I do not know if I’ll be… how do I know the role I’ll have?” he added.
“”I am here today but at the end of the season I do not know what will happen.
“There is a lot of talk of players coming and going. That’s normal but I focus on the games.”
Madrid have rebounded well following the 1-0 home defeat to city rivals Atletico on February 27 with three wins, including a 2-0 defeat of Roma in the Champions League on Tuesday.
“After three wins, the training, the atmosphere is better. When you win it’s always better. But being in a good moment means nothing unless you do well in games,” Zidane said.
Zidane was also relieved that Karim Benzema is back in contention for a place in France’s Euro 2016 squad after the court of appeal in Versailles lifted a ruling that prevented the 28-year-old from speaking to international team-mate Mathieu Valbuena.
Charges of complicity in an attempt to blackmail and participating in a criminal conspiracy remain against Benzema – who denies any wrongdoing – as part of an investigation into a sex-tape plot involving the Lyon midfielder.
Zidane added: “It is true that solving this problem is a relief for Karim. There was a lot of talk about this issue and it has affected him. Now it’s resolved and he can think again about [playing for] France.
“I hope it happens and quickly.”