Giorgio Chiellini says he felt “ashamed” by the racist abuse Napoli players were subjected to by Fiorentina fans during Sunday’s Serie A game at the Stadio Artemio Franchi.
Kalidou Koulibaly, Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa and Victor Osimhen were targeted during leaders Napoli’s 2-1 victory in Florence.
Koulibaly called for those guilty of the abuse to be banned for life and Italy captain Chiellini demanded that strong action must be taken.
The Juventus centre-back said: “It is unacceptable. We need laws and rules that are applied, this is the most important thing.
“I was ashamed, as an Italian and a Tuscan, also because Italy is not a racist country for me.
“Something more must be done, otherwise from outside we give a bad image of ourselves “
Defender Koulibaly was targeted by spectators as he was interviewed on the pitch after the game.
According to reports by II Napolista, Fiorentina’s director general Joe Barone went to Napoli’s changing room to apologise personally.
Osimhen slammed the perpetrators in a tweet, writing: “Speak to your kids, your parents, make them understand how disgusting it is to hate an individual because of the colour of their skin. NO TO RACISM.”
Koulibaly followed suit on Twitter, where he said he was called a “monkey”.
He added: “They called me that. These people have nothing to do with sport. They must be identified and kept out of the stadiums. Forever.”
Serie A has had issues with racist behaviour from supporters already this season.
Milan last month filed an official complaint to the Federal Prosecutor’s Office following Tiemoue Bakayoko’s claims that he and Franck Kessie were abused by a section of Lazio fans.
- Soccer News Like
- Be the first of your friends!