Monday, October 14, 2019

Prediction: Chelsea vs Hull City

Tom Dunstan in FA Cup, Free Soccer Predictions 16 Feb 2018

724 Views

Verdict: Chelsea win and over 2.5 goals

Best Odds: 4/6

Bookmaker: Bet365

With the FA Cup now their most realistic chance of securing a piece of silverware at the end of the season, Antonio Conte’s Chelsea side will travel to the KC Stadium to meet a Hull City side who are desperately trying to avoid back-to-back relegations.

Chelsea

After bouncing back against West Brom on Monday night, Antonio Conte’s Chelsea side secured a crucial 3-0 win and also ended a run of form that saw them lose 4-1 to Watford and Bournemouth. Although the defending champions hopes of defending their title may have come to an end before Christmas, the Blues now sit in that lucrative fourth spot and will know the importance of securing Champions League football come May. Putting on a professional performance against the Baggies on Monday, talisman Eden Hazard scored a brace and has now found the net six times in his last six appearances.

Team News

Antonio Conte has suggested that both January signing Emerson Palmieri and teenager Ethan Ampadu could start for the Blues on Friday night. However, Chelsea look likely to still be without full-back Marcos Alonso who still has a minor ankle injury. Summer signing Ross Barkley will also miss out after picking up a hamstring injury in training.

Hull City

As for the hosts on Friday night, the Championship strugglers will be hoping that an upset victory against the defending Premier League champions will give the Tigers some much-needed momentum in their pursuit to avoid back-to-back relegations. Currently sat 21st in the table, Nigel Adkins side only sit a single point above the drop zone. Although Hull appear to save their best performances for the FA Cup and have seen off Blackburn and Nottingham Forest in the previous rounds, the Tigers win last weekend was their first Championship three points in their last nine attempts, a run stemming back to the start of December.

Team News

For Nigel Adkins, Hull’s boss will be without 11 first team players for their trip to Stamford Bridge. The Tigers will be without Michael Hector, Ola Aina and Fikayo Tomori are all ineligible up against their parent club, while Seb Larsson became the latest player ruled out when collecting his 10th yellow card of the season and a two-game ban in Saturday’s 2-0 win at Nottingham Forest.

Markus Henriksen (ankle) and Ondrej Mazuch (hamstring) have also been lost to injuries since City progressed to the fifth round, along with Michael Dawson (groin) and Kamil Grosicki (ankle).

Key Factors to Consider

  • Hull have failed to beat Chelsea in their last 14 attempts (L12, D2).
  • Chelsea have failed to win 67% of their last six home games in all competitions, including a 1-1 draw with Championship outfit Norwich.
  • The Blues have won by more than a two goal margin in just 17% of their last 18 home matches.
  • Hull have avoided defeat in 45% of their last nine away games.
  • The visitors have lost by more than two goals in just 7% of their last 14 on the road, with the other 93% of them seeing The Tigers either draw, win, or limit the defeat to a one goal margin.

Conclusion

Although Chelsea have recently struggled against some lesser opponents, the Blues showed glimpses of their best as they managed to put three past West Brom on Monday night. With the FA Cup now their most likely chance of capturing a piece of silverware at the end of the season, Chelsea will look to put on another clinical performance against a Hull City side who have only one a single matchup in their last nine attempts.

Verdict: Chelsea win and over 2.5 goals

Best Odds: 4/6

Bookmaker: Bet365

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Tom Dunstan


Formerly of The Independent, Tom is a freelance football and boxing journalist from Essex, England. Currently working for three online publications, Tom is a graduate of the University of Falmouth and has spent the last two years writing across Australia, New Zealand and Asia. He can be followed at @IamTomDunstan

SHARE OR COMMENT ON THIS ARTICLE

WE RECOMMEND

Leave a Reply

avatar
 
smilegrinwinkmrgreenneutraltwistedarrowshockunamusedcooleviloopsrazzrollcryeeklolmadsadexclamationquestionideahmmbegwhewchucklesillyenvyshutmouth
  Subscribe  
Notify of
More More
Top