De Laurentiis confirms Dzeko interest
Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has confirmed an interest in Manchester City striker Edin Dzeko.
Reports have linked Napoli forward Edinson Cavani with a switch to the Etihad Stadium and De Laurentiis confirmed he sent sporting director Riccardo Bigon to speak to city about both players.
Film producer De Laurentiis had been in London recently, with some reports suggesting he was there to speak to outgoing Chelsea boss Rafa Benitez, but the Italian insisted this was not the case.
“I told Bigon, ‘Go to City and take the chance to negotiate over Dzeko and see what they are willing to do for Cavani’,” he told Gazzetta.it.
“I did not go to London for Benitez. You would have me appointing 15 coaches: it’s true, I’ve heard them all in the last six months and I’m aware.
“Yesterday (Monday) I was in London with (managing director Andrea) Chiavelli and Bigon and for a simple reason: I have to prepare for the release of the film about Steve Jobs.”
De Laurentiis also confirmed he was not in a rush to appoint a successor to Walter Mazzarri following his departure from the Stadio San Paolo.
“Who will be the new coach? I don’t do things in a hurry. I’m trying to understand who will be the people to accompany me in the next journey,” he said.
Tue 21 May, 2013