Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Allegri would rather face a fine than a touchline ban after red card

SoccerNews in Serie A 13 Sep 2022

35 Views

Massimiliano Allegri believes coaches who are shown red cards should pay fines that are then passed to charities, rather than face touchline bans.

The Juventus head coach was sent off in stoppage time of his side’s dramatic 2-2 draw with Salernitana on Sunday after protesting the referee and VAR overturning what would have been a last-minute winning goal from Arkadiusz Milik, who was also dismissed for taking his shirt off during the initial celebrations.

Speaking at a press conference ahead of the Bianconeri hosting Benfica in the Champions League group stage, Allegri said he considers the chapter “closed”, but raised his idea that coaches pay fines rather than face bans following such incidents.

“I have never expressed any judgements of the referees,” he said. “It’s not up to me to express my opinion on that. I closed that chapter on Sunday.

“I don’t know whether I will be able to take part in Sunday’s game [at Monza]. Rather than being sent off, maybe it would be better to pay a fine for coaches so we can help charities, but I would like to be on the pitch.

“This is something that should be taken into consideration that could be food for thought, in my opinion.” 

Juve have had an underwhelming start to the season, drawing four of their six Serie A games so far, while they lost their opening game in Group H of the Champions League 2-1 at Paris Saint-Germain last week.

Allegri expects his team to improve, but pointed to a lack of experience at the top level for several of his players, singling out new arrival Bremer, who signed from Torino in July.

“We certainly have experience, but at the same time we have other players who have not played in the Champions League very often, and have not played in Serie A very often, so they have less experience,” Allegri said.

“Playing for Juventus is not easy at all, the players are always under pressure. Obviously we want to win all the time so we are pushed from the outside.

“Bremer, I believe, will only be playing his second match in the Champions League if I’m not wrong. He’s an extraordinary signing for the club of course but in terms of experience… he has to deal with some psychological pressure.

“We would like to have a different situation in Serie A. We have lost some points and I am sorry for that. We have time to recover, but as for the match, it will be a difficult and complicated match and we must be focused on it.”

The former Milan boss did have some good news for Juve fans, saying Angel Di Maria has returned from injury and could start at the Allianz Stadium on Wednesday, while first-choice goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny is also back in training.

“Di Maria has recovered,” he said. “I don’t know if he will start, but he has been training with the team. Szczesny has also been training so may be available, I will know after this press conference.

“Alex Sandro had a problem after Sunday, he might be back for the Monza game, and [Adrien] Rabiot and [Manuel] Locatelli are out.”

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

SoccerNews

Soccernews.com is news blog for soccer with comprehensive coverage of all the major leagues in Europe, as well as MLS in the United States. In addition we offer breaking news for transfers and transfer rumors, ticket sales, betting tips and offers, match previews, and in-depth editorials.

You can follow us on Facebook: Facebook.com/soccernews.com or Twitter: @soccernewsfeed.

SHARE OR COMMENT ON THIS ARTICLE

WE RECOMMEND

Subscribe
Notify of
guest

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Live Scores

advertisement

Betting Guide Advertisement

advertisement

Become a Writer
More More
Top
1
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x