Saturday, May 25, 2024

Cardiff 1-2 Burnley: Vokes steals the points against Bluebirds

Embed from Getty Images

Cardiff let more vital points slip through their fingers on Sunday evening as they were defeated 2-1 by Burnley at the Cardiff City Stadium.

The hosts were the better side throughout the majority of the game but fell behind due to Jóhann Berg Guðmundsson’s header early in the second period. Josh Murphy replied with a clinical finish minutes later to drag Neil Warnock’s men level. However, Burnley were able to grind out the result as Sam Vokes’ struck with a little over 20 minutes to bag all three points.

Bluebirds start well

Cardiff were far more positive in the first half as they dominated possession with the best chance of the opening 20 minutes fell to Josh Murphy. The speedy winger dribbled into the box and tore down on goal. Aiming for the near post, his low effort crashed back off of the upright to the anguish of the home crowd.

Joe Hart then had to be at his very best as the hosts came forward again. Víctor Camarasa played in Kenneth Zohore with the latter aiming for the bottom corner. However, the ex-Manchester City man got down extremely well to tip the ball around the post. 

Set pieces key for Cardiff

The Bluebirds thought they had claimed the lead from the resultant corner as Sean Morrison nodded home but the referee ruled the goal out for a foul.

The defender almost played a key role in a Cardiff opener as he yet again nodded another corner down which left Hart flapping. Callum Paterson had plenty of space to nudge the ball home but he could only loop the ball up which allowed Matej Vydra to head off the line.

Warnock’s men continued to be extremely difficult to deal with from set pieces as Morrison again had a header blocked. Paterson latched onto the rebound with an overhead kick that hit Matt Lowton before Joe Ralls had his shot deflected away.

Burnley lead against the run of play but Bluebirds reply

Despite all of Cardiff’s dominance in the first-half, Dyche’s troops claimed the lead only minutes after the restart. Kieran Westwood glanced on a long throw-in which found its way to Gudmunsson at the far post. The Icelandic international leapt highest to head the ball over the line.

It did not take too long for the hosts to reply, however. Bruno Ecuele Manga crossed into the middle where Murphy was waiting to strike with a cool, first-time finish to equalise. The former Norwich man then went close again as he forced a fingertip save out of Hart with a long-range strike that was heading for the top corner.

Vokes silences Welsh capital

As is symptomatic of Cardiff’s season so far, they were not able to make their chances count as Burnley again edged in front. Gudmunsson tossed a dangerous cross into the box. Vokes was the man to stoop lowest and head the ball into the bottom corner to notch his first league goal of the season.

Cardiff continued to huff and puff in the closing stages but they weren’t quite able to find another goal as they remained in the Premier League relegation zone.

Final Thoughts

What will irritate Warnock more so than anything is they were the better side against Burnley. The hosts create by far the better chances but it is their wastefulness in front of goal, alongside a leaky defence that is giving them major trouble. The Bluebirds will try again to get their first win next week against Tottenham Hotspur.

Meanwhile, Sean Dyche’s Clarets really did produce a trademark smash and grab in the Welsh capital. He will be delighted that they were still able to win despite not playing anywhere near their best. They next host another struggling in Huddersfield Town.

Match Report

Cardiff City: Etheridge (6); Cunnigham (6), Bamba (5), Morrison (6), Ecuele Manga (6); Murphy (7), Ralls (6) (Madine (N/A), 79′), Arter (6), Camarasa (7); Paterson (6), Zohore (5) (Ward (5), 71′).

Burnley: Hart (8); Taylor (6), Mee (6), Tarkowski (6) (Long (6), 27′), Lowton (6); Lennon (6), Cork (6), Westwood (6), Gudmunsson (7); Vydra (6) (Wood (5), 72′), Vokes (6).

Goals: Gudmunsson (51′), Murphy (60′)

Referee: Martin Atkinson

Yellow Cards: Westwood (45+1′), Cunningham (69′), Lennon (90+3′)

Red Cards: N/A


Daniel Orme

Daniel is a football journalism graduate from the University of Derby. He has been freelance writing for approximately six years now and brings considerable experience. A season ticket holder at local club Leicester City, he witnessed the Foxes miraculously lifting the Premier League trophy in the 2015/16 campaign.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This field is required *

Join the conversation!

or Register

More More