Thursday, December 12, 2019

Mutu staying at Fiorentina, says president

SoccerNews in Serie A 23 Jul 2008

14 Views

Fiorentina president Andrea Della Valle insisted on Wednesday that star Romania forward Adrian Mutu will be staying at the club despite interest from AS Roma.

Roma had confirmed earlier in the day that they have made an offer for the Romania captain, believed to be around 18-20 million euros.

But Della Valle said he won't be selling.

“With reference to Roma's offer the Fiorentina president Andrea Della Valle states that Adrian Mutu is and will remain a Fiorentina player,” said Della Valle's brief statement.

Roma had earlier confirmed the growing speculation about their interest in the former Chelsea Juventus and Inter Milan forward.

“Roma confirms they have made an offer to Fiorentina for the acquisition of Adrian Mutu for the 2008/09 season,” said Roma's statement.

“We are waiting for a response from Fiorentina in order to start discussions over an eventual transfer.”

Reports in the press earlier in the day confirmed that there had been contact between the two clubs.

“I met Roma officials and they passed on their wish to land the player,” the reports quoted Fiorentina sporting director Pantaleo Corvino as telling Italian media.

He added that the club intended to “hold on to important players” but not “by force.”

Various reports claimed that Mutu wanted a contract extension until 2013 plus a pay rise, but that the Florence club had only offered a deal until 2012 worth less money.

Claims also suggested that Roma's offer would almost double the salary Mutu is earning at the Viola.

Mutu has been a huge success in Florence over the last two seasons, scoring 17 goals last term and the club finished fourth and qualified for the Champions League for the first time since the 1999-2000 season.

He also scored six goals in Fiorentina's march to the UEFA Cup semi-finals, where they lost on penalties to Scottish team Glasgow Rangers.

The 29-year-old was earlier this summer ordered by FIFA to pay former club Chelsea 12 million euros relating to a failed drugs test during his time in England.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

SoccerNews

Soccernews.com is news blog for soccer with comprehensive coverage of all the major leagues in Europe, as well as MLS in the United States. In addition we offer breaking news for transfers and transfer rumors, ticket sales, betting tips and offers, match previews, and in-depth editorials.

You can follow us on Facebook: Facebook.com/soccernews.com or Twitter: @soccernewsfeed.

SHARE OR COMMENT ON THIS ARTICLE

WE RECOMMEND

Leave a Reply

avatar
 
smilegrinwinkmrgreenneutraltwistedarrowshockunamusedcooleviloopsrazzrollcryeeklolmadsadexclamationquestionideahmmbegwhewchucklesillyenvyshutmouth
  Subscribe  
Notify of
More More
Top