AS Roma coach Luciano Spalletti admitted on Friday that he has all but given up on his bid to sign Romania forward Adrian Mutu.
Roma are in the hunt for a forward having let Brazilian winger Alessandro Mancini move to Serie A rivals Inter Milan.
Spalletti had set his sights on Fiorentina’s Mutu but earlier this week La Viola president Andrea Della Valle insisted the Romania captain will be staying put.
“I think it’s over. There were certain conditions with which it could have happened,” said Spalletti.
“These conditions were at an advanced stage and everything was put in place so if Mutu hasn’t arrived that’s through no fault of this club.”
Roma were rumoured to have offered Mutu double the salary he is on at Fiorentina but La Viola’s technical administrator Sandro Mencucci insisted the forward is happy to be staying.
“The situation with Adrian Mutu is perfect, the player understood our intentions and now he just wants to think about playing and he’s not protesting.”
Roma will be pursuing other options now with Chelsea’s France winger Florent Malouda, Real Madrid’s Brazilian attacking midfielder Julio Baptista and even Zenit St Petersburg star Andrei Arshavin potentially on the capital-based club’s shopping list.
“We will sign a pair of players. Right now we have to look elsewhere but calmly because there’s still time,” added Spalletti.
“Baptista? I’ve never said anything about him. Baptista is a good player who has strong characteristics (but) we are strong in central midfield.”
- Soccer News Like
- Be the first of your friends!