Friday, May 22, 2026

Simeone laments Atletico´s missed chances in ´difficult´ Real defeat

SoccerNews in General Soccer News 4 Mar 2025

42 Views

Diego Simeone was frustrated by Atletico Madrid’s failure to capitalise on their control in their 2-1 loss to Real Madrid in the first-leg of their last 16 Champions League tie.

After Rodrygo had put Carlo Ancelotti’s side ahead, Julian Alvarez restored parity in the 32nd minute with a stunning curling effort that crashed off the post on its way in.

Alvarez has now scored seven goals in nine appearances in the Champions League this season, with only Diego Costa in 2013-14 and Vava in 1958-59 (both eight) scoring more in their first European campaign for Atletico.

Following their equaliser, the visitors were able to unsettle Real and dominate possession, but they were unable to turn that into clear-cut chances for themselves.

And their profligacy was punished 10 minutes into the second half when Brahim Diaz danced his way into the area before finishing past Jan Oblak from close range.

Indeed, Atletico have now lost each of their last four away games in the knockout stages of the Champions League, their longest losing run away from home at this stage of the competition since 1969-1971 (five).

Simeone, however, said he was happy with how his team reacted to Rodrygo’s early opener, adding that he felt confident they could turn the tie around in the second leg.

“We should have taken better advantage when we had control of the game,” he said. “It’s difficult to take risks so that with any counter-attack you end up losing the game.

“We controlled that situation very well, but we were missing (something) in the final metres.”

Simeone was also assured that the atmosphere in front of their own supporters would give his players an edge to mount a comeback, as they did against Inter at this stage of the competition last year.

But that task could have been made even harder in the closing stages, with Kylian Mbappe failing to find Vinicius Junior in the final moments after a swift counter-attack.

“Maybe the hope of that no goal opens the door for what’s to come,” Simeone concluded.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

SoccerNews

Soccernews.com is news blog for soccer with comprehensive coverage of all the major leagues in Europe, as well as MLS in the United States. In addition we offer breaking news for transfers and transfer rumors, ticket sales, betting tips and offers, match previews, and in-depth editorials.

You can follow us on Facebook: Facebook.com/soccernews.com or Twitter: @soccernewsfeed.

SHARE OR COMMENT ON THIS ARTICLE

WE RECOMMEND

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This field is required *

Join the conversation!

or Register

Live Scores

advertisement

Betting Guide Advertisement
  • Jeonbuk Motors v Gwangju FC - Soccer
    August 9, 11:30
  • Gimcheon Sangmu FC v Gangwon FC - Soccer
    August 9, 11:30
  • Benfica (KraftVK) Esports v Inter (DaVa) Esports - Soccer
    August 9, 11:30
  • Sevilla (FEARGGWP) Esports v AC Milan (sane4ek8) Esports - Soccer
    August 9, 11:30
  • Trabzonspor (Cruise) Esports v Fenerbahce (Dennis) Esports - Soccer
    August 9, 11:30
See More Live Streams

advertisement

Become a Writer
More More
Top