Saturday, December 14, 2019

Three Players Set To Leave The Premier League During The January Transfer Window

Embed from Getty Images

There are roughly six weeks before the start of the 2020 January transfer window, but several top teams are already scouting the potential transfer alternatives. And one of the leagues that generates more interest is the English Premier League.

Knowing several players might change teams during the first month of next year, here are three players that could be leaving the Premier League in the short-term picture.

Nemanja Matic

The Serbian midfielder was one of the world’s top defensive midfielders just a few years ago. Things have changed quickly, however, and now he barely plays for Manchester United under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s tutelage. The 31-year-old is upset, and wants to leave as soon as the market opens up in January.

One of his potential destinations has been rumoured to be Inter Milan. The Serie A giants are looking to bolster their central midfield depth, and Matic would check the boxes. He is still on his prime, he has experience, and he represents an upgrade over the current in-house alternatives. Inter should act quickly and try to secure his signature as soon as 2020 kicks in.

Leroy Sane

The Germany international suffered an ACL tear during the Community Shield between Manchester City and Liverpool during August this year. He hasn’t played since then and, based on reports, he’s not expected to return to action until February or March at the earliest. However, that shouldn’t take away the fact that he might leave the reigning Premier League champions this winter.

Bayern Munich, who were open to sign Sane this summer before the injury, remain heavily interested in the 23-year-old former Schalke star. Former boss Niko Kovac said Sane would be “a dream signing” for Die Roten and, even though he’s not with the team anymore, the interest remains alive.

Considering Raheem Sterling’s and Riyad Mahrez’s form over the past few months, parting ways with Sane might not be the worst thing in the world for City. He seems to have more value as a transfer asset than anything else right now.

Moise Kean

Moise Kean’s arrival to Everton was undoubtedly one of the most shocking transfers of the past summer. Not because of the move per se, but because Everton paid a hefty transfer fee for the 19-year-old. Kean, however, has not performed as expected in the Premier League and he’s yet to find the back of the net. The Toffees would reportedly be open to send him back to Italy if the chance arises.

With no goals in 11 competitive matches, Kean does not look happy on British soil. Even his father said his move to England was a mistake, and apparently, he is ready to return to Italy, where Roma are set to welcome him with open arms. Will Everton grant him that wish, or will they wait for a turnaround in the second half of the season?

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Juan Pablo Aravena


A freelance writer and sports analyst with almost five years of experience in the industry before joining SoccerNews, Juan Pablo Aravena is based in Chile and currently contributes to several publications and websites including SoccerNews, 12up, and Sports From The Basement, while also working as a fantasy beat writer for RotoWire, as a database editor for EA Sports, and as a football analyst for SmartOdds and InsideFutbol. His areas of focus are Serie A, Bundesliga, Premier League, LaLiga, and Ligue 1, but he has also written about MLS and South American football in the past.

SHARE OR COMMENT ON THIS ARTICLE

WE RECOMMEND

Leave a Reply

avatar
 
smilegrinwinkmrgreenneutraltwistedarrowshockunamusedcooleviloopsrazzrollcryeeklolmadsadexclamationquestionideahmmbegwhewchucklesillyenvyshutmouth
  Subscribe  
Notify of
More More
Top