Juventus forward David Trezeguet blasted France coach Raymond Domenech in an interview printed Saturday in the Gazzetta dello Sport after he was left out of the Euro 2008 preliminary squad.
Despite fine goal-scoring form for the Serie A giants this season, Trezeguet has once again found himself out of favour with Domenech for the June showpiece in Austria and Switzerland.
He did not even make it into the 30-man squad called up for a week of training in preparation for the tournament.
“(Roberto) Donadoni (the Italy coach) called up (Alessandro) Del Piero and (Antonio) Cassano, players who can win a match,” said the striker.
“What's happened to me is unacceptable and inexcusable.
“On the pitch I've shown that I deserve my place. The choices made are incomprehensible, I deserve to go to the Euros.”
Trezeguet – or Trezegol as he is known by Juve fans – finished second in the top scorers table this season, behind only team-mate Del Piero.
“Yes I'm disappointed. I was counting on the Euros to try to forget about the World Cup final,” added Trezeguet, who was part of the squad that lost to Italy on penalties in the final.
“I'll be supporting in front of my television and I hope that for my last opportunity – the World Cup in South Africa (in two years time) – something will change.”
He would need a change of coach probably to get a look in as Domenech clearly does not rate the Argentine-born striker.
“I've already said, it's a formation choice,” he said last week. “We have four or five central strikers, we can't multiply the positions, you have to make a choice.”
- Soccer News Like
- Be the first of your friends!